A hamlet of Padu village about l2 kms south of Udupi Kaup is situated on the coastal belt, which passes through the West Coast National Highway. Marda Heggade, a chieftain, rose to power here during the Vijayanagara days. It has an old lighthouse, the guiding star of navigators who are warned of the presence of dangerous rocks in the sea. This Tower of light not only guides the ships but also has a monumental significance. Positioned all alone it spreads light on the shore of darkness. It was most probably begun in 1906 on the rocks and in about 1935 the tower was all set. The man made tower is at the height of about 34 meters and its light spreads over a distance of about 34 miles and can be seen from a distance of about 100 miles. The lantern has a burner of 55 meter P. V. burner comprising of 30 pieces, 5 panels and 3.6 diameter glass. The surrounding glass has a height of 1.83 meters. It has a spiral staircase. The fuel used for the lamp is kerosene Recently the electricity supply is also provided at the light tower.There is also an old ruined fort. The place is known for its temples of goddess Mariamma. The Jaina Basadi there is in ruins and so also an old Janardhana shrine.